It’s that time of the year again, where your calendar is filling up with BBQs and fun plans with friends and family! With that, comes the slight pressure of figuring out what dish to bring. Ahh! Memorial Day passed recently and I was trying to figure out what dish to bring to a friend’s BBQ when I had the urge to make fresh salsa. I scoured through my fridge and found all of the ingredients readily available, so that’s what I’m going to share with you all today! 🙂
The recipe was super simple and took no longer than 20 minutes. I just diced up the tomato; then threw the onion (after I quickly sliced it), 1/2 of a jalapeño and the one clove of garlic into my mini food processor and minced that up.
Quick side note, I LOVE my mini food processor. It’s super simple and easy to toss in ingredients and have them minced up in no time. I know, I know, you are probably wondering why I don’t use my culinary skills to mince those ingredients by hand. In all honesty, while I like to practice my knife skills, sometimes when you’re in a hurry, or super tired after a long day of work, it’s just nice to have that handy dandy food processor to assist you. 🙂
Back to the main focus: fresh salsa! After using my wicked awesome mini food processor, I added the spices and herbs and tossed with some lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. Yum!!
Salsa is so incredibly versatile, so it’s such a great dish to prepare! It pairs great with tortilla chips, breakfast burritos, tacos, and so much more!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Please feel free to share your pictures of your own fresh salsa on Instagram and tag me @starknakedcooking! I’d love to see how they come out!
As always, thank you for cooking with me on Stark Naked Cooking and have a wonderful week! Until next weekend, when our food adventure continues!
- 1 Tomato - Diced
- 1 Garlic Clove - Minced
- 1/2 Red Onion - Minced
- 1/2 Jalapeño - Seeded and Minced
- 1/4 Cilantro - Chopped
- 1/2 Lemon or Lime - Juiced
- 2 T. Apple Cider Vinegar*
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- Pinch of Cayenne
- Dice the tomato and place in a medium bowl.
- Next, mince the clove of garlic, onion and jalapeño. If you have one, I found that using a mini food processor makes this process MUCH faster. Place in the bowl and use a spatula to fold together with the freshly diced tomato.
- Next, add the salt, cayenne, apple cider vinegar and lemon (or lime) juice. Mix together with the spatula.
- Lastly, add the chopped cilantro and fold together.
- Place in a serving dish with some tortilla chips and enjoy!
- *Just a Little Tip (JLT): I happen to prefer a bit of a vinegar taste to my dressings or salsa, so I tend to add a splash more than others. If you do not share that taste, then start with 1 T. of vinegar and taste your salsa after adding the other ingredients. If you want more vinegar, then add more! It's much easier to add more of an ingredient than it is to take it out, or try to compensate after the fact.